Wish Specialist (Non-Exempt)
Director of Program Services
This position is responsible for coordinating the wish experience within the policies and procedures established by the National Office and the local Make-A-Wish®
Greater Virginia chapter. Responsible for managing all aspects of designated wishes and for ensuring: (1) the child’s wish is safe and appropriate; (2) the wish is magical and care-free for the child and family; and (3) the proper policies and guidelines of the Foundation and chapter have been followed.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting a cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com. EOE
- Improves wish process based on experience gained in working on wishes.
- Drafts wish granting policies and guidelines.
- Maintains sensitivity and confidentiality to families being served by the Foundation.
- Communicates with health care professionals, volunteers and family members to ensure each wish proceeds in the best interest of the child, and ensuring all required authorizations are received.
- Working with volunteer wish granters to obtain appropriate signatures, releases and legal documentation for each assigned wish to ensure all required documentation is accurate and complete to minimize the Foundation’s liability and risk.
- Ensure a quality wish experience for every child served. Coordinate all specific aspects involved with the wish and wish assists, including but not limited to: transportation, accommodations, services, medical equipment, liability forms, itineraries packets, and mailings.
- Completion of assigned wishes in a timely manner to meet chapter goals.
- Shares 24-hour pager coverage for Foundation and handles emergency situations that arise.
- Develop strong relationships with vendors and supporters chapter-wide to secure in-kind donations for wishes.
- Apprise Senior Director of Program Services of unusual wish situations as they arise.
- Process all paperwork after the child’s interview, including all necessary data entry.
- Update and keep current wish database and equivalent paper files on each child.
- Assures timely reconciliation of wish cash, in-kind and assigned credit card charges.
- Accountable for ongoing line of credit in excess of $10,000.
- Establish budget for each assigned wish. Track financials for each wish. Work with Operations Manager to timely and accurately process check requests, payments, in-kinds and credit card reconciliation. Reconcile all wish expenditures for completed wishes.
- Management of volunteers, providing guidance regarding wish granting policies and guidelines.
- Work with assigned volunteers to define wish, coordinate wish planning, and assist with in kind donations. Seek in kind donations to meet chapter goals.
- Supervise interns.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Human Services Field (B.A./B.S.).
- Integrity, maturity and ethical awareness.
- Ability to make sound decisions in quick timeframe.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Team player with a sense of humor.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task in an organized manner.
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and practical experience in database management.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Healthcare and/or non-profit experience is a plus as is Bilingual (Spanish).
We are more than a great place to work - our work is life-changing. We are an inclusive and diverse group of people who, through a mosaic of backgrounds, thoughts, and experiences are united in purposeful work. We are fueled and guided by our values - values that are represented in the inspired people we work with and the transformational work we do every day.