During this unprecedented time, Make-A-Wish remains focused on keeping our wish kids and families, community supporters, volunteers, and employees safe. Our team has made the following adjustments to ensure the health of our community while allowing us to continue safely delivering on our mission.
- All wish travel has been postponed until further notice, as well as wish child participation in all activities and events related to Make-A-Wish that do not allow for social distancing. We have been in contact with each of the impacted families and will grant each postponed wish as soon as we can safely proceed. We will continue to monitor guidance from national and international public health and government organizations, including the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) and U.S. State Department, and are working closely with the National Make-A-Wish Medical Advisory Council, keeping the best interest of the children and families we serve at the center of all policy decisions we make. The health and safety of our wish families is our priority – and, as always, we remain committed to our vision of granting the wish of every eligible child fighting a critical illness. If you are a wish family and have concerns about your upcoming wish, please contact your wish coordinator, or call (804) 217-9474.
- We have rescheduled our Walk For Wishes to August 15, 2020 to ensure the health and safety of our participants. For more information, please click here.
- We postponed our Blue Ridge W.I.S.H. Circle to comply with guidelines on large gatherings, and to allow our W.I.S.H. Circle Honorees ample time to fundraise for our wish kids.
- We have requested volunteers forego meeting with wish families directly and to utilize virtual wish visits. We are hard at work granting the wishes that can be fulfilled at this time and preparing for the many wishes that will need to be granted once we are through this season.
- Our staff is working remotely to ensure the health and safety of our team. Although we may have kids, dogs, cats or partners very closely rooting us on, you can expect typical response times from us!
On average, Make-A-Wish Greater Virginia grants about 180 wishes per year, and nearly 80 percent of these wishes involve air travel. Locally, we estimate that one wish every 48 hours is delayed by COVID-19 related postponements.
The health and safety of our wish families is our priority – and, as always, we remain committed to our vision of granting the wish of every eligible child fighting a critical illness. Your support is as critical as ever because there are more wish kids waiting for wishes than ever before. Your help today will bring hope and joy to wish kids in your community tomorrow. If you’d like to assist Make-A-Wish Greater Virginia during this difficult time, please donate today at va.wish.org/donate.
We are so grateful for the support and resilience of our wish community in Virginia. Please stay safe!