Volunteer Coordinator (Non-Exempt)
Reports To: Director of Program Services
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Position open until filled; EOE.
This position is responsible for leading and managing all volunteer efforts for the Chapter including; volunteer recruitment, training, retention and recognition. This individual oversees all wish granting, general office and event volunteers, speaker’s bureau and intern programs.
- Manage all volunteer activities including recruitment, orientation, training, assignment and performance evaluation.
- Provide ongoing coaching to volunteers in all roles including probation and termination of volunteers as determined.
- Create volunteer trainings and tracks for education as needs are determined.
- Ensure a strong and adequate volunteer base throughout the entire territory so that the chapter can fulfill the mission of granting every eligible wish.
- Maintain an accurate, efficient and thorough application and screening process of all volunteers that complies with National Performance Standards (including background criminal checks and Conflict of Interest and Ethics Statement collection on annual basis).
- Manage volunteer communications.
- Develop and implement wish granter screening processes and trainings.
- Manage the volunteer portion of all internal and external fundraising events as assigned by the Development Department.
- Maintain both a volunteer and intern manual.
- Manage Volunteer Recognition program.
- Serve as the chapter administrator for Make-A-Wish University (MAWU) a web-based portal within Make-A-Wish where continuing education takes place for volunteers and interns.
- Assure all volunteers and interns are in compliance with required MAWU coursework.
- Lead service enterprise initiative and assure successful renewal.
- Assign wish granter teams to new wish children for the interview and follow up with them to ensure timely interview assignments and returning the interview pack to the office.
- Adhere to chapter and national Standards of Use for data entry.
- Assume other duties and projects as assigned by the Director of Program Services.
Recruitment and Community Outreach
- Continually assess the chapter’s volunteer needs with all departments, creating or assisting in the development of volunteer position descriptions.
- Develop and initiate recruitment strategy for critical volunteer needs (i.e. Spanish speaking and outer lying regions volunteers).
- Respond to volunteer program inquiries from the public in a timely manner.
- Recommend volunteers for appropriate positions (based on volunteer interests, capabilities).
- Continue to develop, plan and coordinate an Internship Program – including the recruitment and screening of year-round intern applicants to assist chapter-wide.
- Coordinate Speakers’ Bureau members to act as chapter liaison in appropriate community networking groups (Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, etc.).
- Schedule and attend on-site Corporate/Community Volunteer Fairs.
- Work with the Development Team to identify, cultivate and solicit local corporate partnerships for the purpose of coordinating employee volunteer opportunities.
- Develop a volunteer outreach strategy including researching and engaging local community groups and corporations to encourage employee involvement.
JOB SKILLS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Creative thinker and self-starter.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse group of volunteers.
- Professional demeanor and appearance.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills – phone, email and in person.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Excellent computer and computer software skills with specific emphasis on Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and internet search programs and email communications. Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong attention to details and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to calmly handle pressure situations.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- Statewide travel is required as is a valid driver’s license.
- Minimum B.A./B.S.
- Ability to multi-task in an organized manner.
- Prior knowledge and experience in effective database management.
- Integrity, maturity and ethical awareness.
- At least 2 years prior volunteer management or human resources experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.